Monday, September 17, 2007

The day is a bit brighter

Today I heard some news that really lifted my spirits. Let's just say Karma rocks! Anyway - it's been a few days since I posted any meaningful tips, and thought I'd share a few. Let's talk about children.......

1) You have to engage them. Yeah, right. I know - easier said than done. Beleive me - I know. My children run from me when I get the camera out, but one thing I found with digital photography - they like looking at the immediate results. Actually, some of your children run from me too. Some things I do to get children to look at me while photographing them is talking to them on THEIR level. Yes, I know I'm short, but I'm still taller than them! I get down on my knees and just play. Ask them about their favorite character, their favorite toy, if their daddy has stinky feet!

2) You have to compose your shot! Ever hear of the rule of 3rds? Basically, its the "tic-tac-toe" grid. All your photograhs should be properly presented on the grid. Everywhere the lines meet - so should your subject. If it's properly centered (the the middle square) - well - it's boring!

3) Natural light when you can!!! Flash is too strong if not used properly. The best times of the day happen to be early morning and later afternoon.

Let's see some of your snapshots!!!!

No comments: